Thursday 31 October 2013

What kind of geek am I?


Geeks come in many shapes and sizes. People often think that if a person likes one sci-fi show, they must love ALL of them. And if you're a practitioner or fan of animation, you must be into computers. There also seems to be this assumption that if you're a geek, you must automatically be a gamer. This is certainly not the case for me.

I'm a complicated geek. My geekiness is really hard to pigeonhole, and could be considered quite frustrating to other geeky types. 

- I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who - but only from 2005 to present. I HATED the 60s/70s/80s ones. That would be considered blasphemous to most Who fans. 

- I love Star Trek - But only the original 60s series, The Next Generation, and I kinda liked Voyager a bit. Couldn't stand Deep Space Nine or the other one. 

- I hate Star Wars. Plain and simple. Wasn't ever impressed. The only thing I *respected* about Star Wars was Muppet performer Frank Oz, and his Yoda puppet (built by the Jim Henson Company). The puppet was replaced with CGI in the newer prequels, so the only thing I liked about Star Wars was non-existent in those films. 

- I love Batman in ALL of his film, TV and animated forms... But I don't care much for the comics. I have a few comics, but I'm not a crazed collector. I prefer the screen versions. 

- I'm a very casual Superman fan. I hate "Smallville" with a passion, and didn't care much for the Christopher Reeve movies. But I love the Warner Bros. animated series/movies, and I enjoyed the "Louis & Clark" TV series. 

- I pretty much hate all Marvel superheroes EXCEPT Spiderman, only because he's so much like a DC one. 

- I'm not one of those anime fans who loves Akira and Wicked City, nor am I a Pokemon fan. However, I am OBSESSED with Studio Ghibli - especially (and almost exclusively) the films of Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Totoro, etc). 

- Can't stand video games/computer games, board games, roleplaying. I feel like a stupid idiot whenever I participate in any of these. And a laughing stock to everyone else in the room. 

- I'm a cartoonist, animator, and a fan of hand drawn animation - Family Guy, SpongeBob, Ren & Stimpy, classic Looney Tunes... I'm not a fan of computer animation (though Pixar do some decent stuff, mainly because their writing is good). I don't like computers at all. People always think I must be some kind of I.T. computer tech whiz because I like/practice animation... But no! I draw! And I like watching drawings!

- And then there's Jim Henson - The Muppets, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, etc. Huge huge Henson/Muppet geek. But that's not to say I'm a fan of ALL puppetry... Marionettes and ventriloquism don't interest me, even though everybody says to me, "You must REALLY love Jeff Dunham and David Strassman!" They're ok. But I won't go out of my way to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment